Sunday, March 14, 2010

Green Eggs - Garden - Fort Moultrie (Project 365 week 10-11)

I have put two weeks into one. I didn't have many last week. We  had a day when we celebrated Dr. Seuss's birthday. I had a cute picture of the kids  wearing Cat in The Hat , hats. I am not real sure I can put those on without permission from each parent. We also had a treat of a hat made out of vanilla wafers, vanilla icing and gunny life savers.  This is our green eggs and ham. We then read the book. Many of my children would not taste green eggs and ham. We read Dr. Seuss books and watched some of his movies too. It was a fun day.

We are seeing signs of spring and so we started working on the outside. Here my hubby is putting border around the sidewalk to keep the rain from washing mulch and sand onto the sidewalk. He worked so hard he could hardly walk the next day.( I told him he was getting old). Rachel said a sign of spring was bird poop on the car door. When I asked how she came up with that she said because birds fly more in the spring and so they poop more. I thought that was cute.

Here is the finished project. It really works well we have had rain since then . Thanks for your hard work, Honey.





This week we gave the SAT test to our students. Each morning but  Friday. I don't know who it is harder on, the teachers or the students. I am so stiff from doing so much extra walking around the room ,  I would see where the children make mistakes and I can't say anything. Not to mention  most of our testing is read to the children. Lots of extra talking. Thankfully we got out of school at 1:30 each day.



After a long week we went with Mom, Dad and Micheal to Fort Moultrie here in Charleston. Rachel was very interested. This is a hat she had to try on in the gift shop. We enjoyed walking around the fort and seeing the sights. Rachel really wanted to go on the ferry to Fort Sumter (which we can see from Moultrie) the day wasn't long enough.




While we were at the visitor center there was a talk about the different dresses women wore during history. This lady saw that Rachel was interested and told her about all the layers she wore under her dress. She told us it was about 13 in all. Can you  imagine how long it took them to dress. She was dressed as if she was mourning her husband. She would dress in black for two years after he pasted away and would not go to any parties or social events This is where Gone With the Wind is incorrect. Of course Scarlet didn't follow rules anyway.. 



I thought this was a neat picture. This was taken at the fort. I love the clouds behind the flag. This is the first national flag.



These were some of the cannons at Fort Moultrie. In the background is the ferry to go to Fort Sumter. Rachel really liked this but kept saying that things needed to be cleaned. There was mold on some of the buildings.




This is one of the smaller cannons we saw.




This is the bridge that is at the top of my page. We got to drive over it twice today. This was really cool. The bridge is about 4 miles long.I love how the sky looks on here.





3 comments:

  1. The front yard look good! Good Job. Looks like you have been busy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures.... you guys did an awesome job on your yard... I can't wait till things get alittle warmer here for us to enjoy the outside more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Seuss days, fun!
    Testing, ughhh!
    Nice work on the yard!
    Cute hats, Rachel.
    I could use a history lesson, never heard of Fort Moultrie.

    ReplyDelete